Monday, March 25, 2013

Introduction

Hello,

My name is Sarah and I am a survivor of domestic violence. I'm a girl who should have known better. I'm smart. I have a bachelor's in social work. I even did an internship at a domestic violence shelter in college. It shouldn't have happened to me. But it did. I'm very much in the throes of working through this, and healing, in as much as anyone can heal from this. And I'm struggling with how to be a girl who should have known better. How to be smart, insightful, and aware and still find myself a victim.

I feel so all alone in this struggle. I've found little resources to help. I want this blog to already exist so that I can just come and read it and gain insight. But I haven't found it, so I have to start it myself. I hope that other people stumble across this and that it helps you feel understood. I hope those of you that have never experienced domestic violence read this and start to understand. At least start to understand that you can never understand until you've been there. And start to understand how you can help.

This topic needs to be blown up and talked about instead of hidden and ashamed. It was not my fault. It shouldn't have happened and nothing about it is fair. I'm trying to heal, but not entirely convinced it is possible yet. I hope making my journey public helps you. Here goes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I think it might. I hope so. I wish I could take the easy way out of healing though! I wonder what that is...

    ReplyDelete